Sunday, October 21, 2012

Can I ask?






a kind man approached us last week as we sat eating lunch, 

"I don't want to be rude, but can I ask what is wrong with your daughter?"

"Of course, you can; she has Spinal Muscular Atrophy and weak muscles"

"Well, you see, I had a stroke last year and when I'm having a bad day I'll think of her... I think that I have it tough...She's gorgeous and fantastic in that (Snappie)...  She's inspired me..."

"She's just E really..."

"Well, next time I'm down, I'll think of her..."

and as he walked away, stick in hand, I shouted, "take care" and my eyes welled with tears; he saw her first and foremost (but I wonder what exactly he did see in her - joy? hope? or just a young life still to be lived?) and she had inspired him.    It must be hard growing old - the years can be so unkind, robbing people of their mobility, independence and confidence, and with increasing frailty they see life carrying on around them (and often without them) and they can only look on, seeing others live their lives and wonder...

thank you, kind man for seeing E in all her gorgeousness
xxx










5 comments:

Midlife Singlemum said...

A beautiful post and how lovely of him to stop and say hello like that.

h0peful mummy said...

rachel, i was touched by his kindness and eilidh worried about why he was walking with a stick...

BavarianSojourn said...

What a lovely post. A thoughtful man indeed. I do wish our society wouldn't just write off the elderly so often. xx

Bright Side of Life said...

What a sweet man...

Katie pollyrabbit said...

Beautiful post; made me feel quite emotional. x