Friday, July 08, 2011

Family



Family can be wonderful during the good times and the fun moments.  Family can be amazing during sad moments and difficult times, too.  Family can be loving, caring and supportive; equally they can be irritating, bossy and nosey.  Families, just like the individuals within them, are unique.


Within my family we are all different and unique - thank goodness!  We live and love differently.  We communicate and express ourselves differently.  Some may say that their glass is half empty while others would see theirs as being half full.  And yet, differences aside, we are who we are, bound together by the bond that is family.


My family is really no different from any other family.  I know them.  I know who to trust and who I can depend on wholeheartedly and faithfully.  I know who will stand in the wings, keeping a watchful eye upon us and I know there are some who are far removed from our day to day lives. 


I know who I can depend upon wholeheartedly & faithfullyI have needed them over the past 12 months or so...







I have been surrounded by family this week.  We have come together from the corners of the globe and celebrated new homes, engagements, marriage and pregnancies; it's been quite a wonderful and magical time.  


It's been such a happy time: I have spent time with those I depend upon wholeheartedly and faithfully and they have not let me down.  We haven't dwelled on the "times of test" but I have felt their love which has carried me high.  I just wish that they were here, not so far away, every day, and that has meant that this time has also been tinged with sadness.


As our time together came to an end, I didn't want to say goodbye - I wanted our goodbye hugs to last forever.  ("please don't let me go - if you do i think that i might break into thousands of pieces - please don't let that happen...")  I don't want them to leave; I don't want them to leave me...  You see, I need them.  I need their love and strength, their caring hearts and gentle hands.  I need them close to me, to my children, to my family, but I cannot ask them to stay.  They have their own lives to live and I don't want to burden them.  I don't want them to worry more than they already do.  It comes down to this:  they cannot make "this" disappear, they cannot change genetics and they cannot cure Eilidh.  No one can and I'm sure that they know that too.  But life goes on...  Life is to be lived and I know that they will be back one day - soon I hope - and I will feel their gentle love close by again.  In the meantime, we'll continue to be a family, supporting each other through the ups and downs of life, because that is what Family is all about, wherever we are in the world.