Friday, April 01, 2011

Naughty Spot

I thought that I had the Naughty Spot sorted...

Niamh will now go there when told to;
She thinks that it's boring and not very nice to sit on but she goes,
Whinging away 4 minutes of her life.

Eilidh is just beginning to learn about the naughty spot...
Apparently we need to discipline her just like a normal child:
hello! yeah, of course... she is a normal child!
She has SMA and (probably) an above average IQ...
She is cheeky and mischievous,
Strong-willed, independent
And canny.
Oh, she is so very canny...
"Canny" - a Scots definition: artful, expert, handy, worthy,
fortunate, shrewd, prudent, useful, deliberate, beneficial

So she is ready to learn about the naughty spot.
As I said, I thought that I had it sorted.
Naughty... Naughty Spot... Brakes on...
 
Hey! Wait a minute...
I can't restrain my child, can I?
No!
I don't think so...
 
Using the brakes on the wheelchair is the equivalent of hand-cuffing an able-bodied child to the naughty spot;  it's restraint, it's cruel, totally unnecessary and no child should be punished in such a way.
I have to be honest though - I had to think this point through the first time Eilidh went on the Naughty Spot to reach this conclusion.
 
So...
Eilidh was put on the naughty spot:
She wheeled off
And was put back on
And wheeled off
And was put back on.
Off.
On.
Off.
On.
Off.
On.
Off.
Until finally she stayed;
A full 2 minutes, staring out of the window as the world went by
And no brakes were necessary.
An apology from her,
"soweeee".
A cuddle and a "i love you"
from me.
And all was right in the world again...
Until next time!

2 comments:

Devon said...

Ah yes....we have to put Dakin in time out frequently. Most of the time he ends up getting it when he is on the floor playing, though, so I just remove his toys and he has 3 minutes of quiet time on his blanket. You're right...SMA kiddos need to be disciplined like any other child. I always tell my nurses that whatever he is doing that warrants a time out might be cute now, but it won't be when he is 15. I care about my child too much to not discipline him. Good on you for sorting it out!! Sounds like you're on the right track!!!

MrsT said...

:) I have to admit a little giggle escaped reading this one! Love the new decor (if thats what you call it?!) on the site too - its gorgeous! xxxx