Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Gallery - My Blog

I thought that I would pop by The Gallery again today...
It was a lovely place to visit last week -
Some "me" time amongst like minded people,
Some time to sit a while and ponder and reflect,
A place to be inspired.

This week's entrance fee is "My Blog" - a photograph which in sum way sums up my blog...


tickle me... again, again!


Why "Touch and Tickle"?

I don't really remember much from the early days, when the pain was so raw and so very overwhelming.  We hid away from the world and from our friends until we were ready to see them.  The family and friends who we did see offered us comfort but now, looking back, I remember very little of that time and even less of the comfort that was shown to us.  A close friend, The Duchess of Bedford, who has been truly wonderful through this difficult year, told me something which stuck - children with SMA like being touched and tickled.  She made me smile and there, in those words was a little flicker of hope.  Eilidh loves being touched and her giggling with joy at being tickled is one of my favourite things to behold .



Why blogging?

I needed to make sense of what I was feeling and thinking.  I was in turmoil and I had always previously turned to my diary in times of trouble.  Apart from trying to make sense of it I wanted to keep a record so that I could one day look back and see the progress that I had made, that my family had made.  I wanted to share this journey with other parents who will find themselves living with SMA too; I wanted to let them know that others have been there before them, in the darkest place imaginable and made it out in one piece!  I never want another parent to feel that they have to go through living with SMA alone, from diagnosis to beyond.



And?

I lost all hope when we received the diagnosis and I didn't know what to do so I put my faith in people...  And I wasn't misguided; I have been lifted high by people.  My hope has been restored and I now hope to "pay-it-forward".  This is what blogging has done for me; I have been able to reach out to people in a way that I never imagined was possible.



So why Tickle Elmo?

If you have made it this far, it's pretty self-explanatory really, Elmo giggles and laughs and writhes around when he is touched and tickled.  Eilidh LOVES being touched and tickled, and her huge smile and infectious giggle lights up my world.

So there you go: Touch & Tickle summed up in a photo...



Go on, tickle someone today - you know you want to!
Enjoy the giggle...

Check out the other Gallery attractions here




6 comments:

mumsarcade said...

This is the most inspirational Gallery post I have read so far. I admire your openess and your wish to pay it forward. Sending good stuff your way. My try is over at http://gigglingatitall.blogspot.com

Mummy and the Beastie said...

What a lovely post you have written and very honest. I can't even imagine what it must have taken to comes to terms with Eilidh's diagnosis. Giggling is just the best thing to hear from your child, pure delight and happiness :-) xx

alysonsblog.com said...

this is a superb post sunshine - you are a true inspiration and dont we all love to be touched and tickled xxx ps your comment on my Gallery made me cry - in a good way x

tiddlyompompom said...

what a lovely post. I am so glad that you have found support and hope :)

ever hopeful mummy said...

thank you for your lovely comments... the sound of giggles should be bottled and given as medicine so that one and all could experience the pure delight.

Mummy...Mummy.....MUM!! said...

A lovely inspirational post. I am just going to read more on your blog now. x